This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Cheeseburger Casserole has all of those delicious cheeseburger flavors in one easy-to-make dish! Loaded with ground beef, veggies, dill relish, pasta and plenty of cheese, all baked together for a comforting family-friendly dinner.
Casseroles make some of the best crowd-pleasing meals! They’re hearty and satisfying, and so simple to throw together! If you love this cheeseburger casserole recipe, here are a few more recipes you should try: meatball casserole, sloppy Joe casserole, Swiss chicken bake and cowboy casserole.
Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe
When you need a cozy, delicious dinner, cheeseburger casserole is the best way to feed a hungry crowd. Even your picky kiddos will love this! It has everything you crave in a cheesy baked pasta dish – savory browned beef, tender noodles, sauciness, cheese and plenty of extras for amazing flavor.
Casseroles can be such a lifesaver, especially for busy weeknights, and with this cheeseburger version, you can quickly bring it all together on the stovetop and let it finish in the oven. Once it’s done, you have a complete meal to fill you up with carbs, protein, and veggies. You really don’t even need to worry about a side dish! However, this pairs well with a green veggie, like air fryer brussel sprouts or air fryer broccoli, and some fluffy dinner rolls, and don’t forget the world’s best baked beans. Use whole wheat pasta to increase the fiber, and gluten-free pasta to make this dish gluten free. It’s a recipe everyone can enjoy!
This recipe is Picky Eater Approved!
Ingredients in Cheeseburger Casserole
If you love a good burger, this beefy pasta dish is for you! It’s packed with all of your favorite cheeseburger ingredients, plus extra flavorings and pasta for a satisfying entree the entire family will enjoy. Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for all of the exact measurements.
- Ground Beef: Using 80/20 ground chuck will add more flavor, but feel free to use a leaner ground beef, if you’d like. It will be incredible either way!
- Vegetables: Yellow onion, green bell pepper and garlic are sautéed with the browned meat to add depth and flavor.
- Tomatoes: Tomato paste helps thicken the sauce and along with the diced tomatoes are reminiscent of ketchup on a hamburger.
- Dill Relish: For that classic hamburger taste!
- Beef Broth: Flavorful liquid that will keep everything moist and help the pasta cook properly.
- Sour Cream: Makes the sauce creamy and adds a subtle tangy flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce: A savory sauce that adds a tangy and umami kick to the beef and veggies.
- Pasta: You can use any short pasta, but we recommend something that the sauce can really cling to, like elbow noodles or shells.
- Seasoning: Italian seasoning, salt and pepper bring all of the flavors together.
- Cheese: Both Velveeta cheese and cheddar cheese are layered with the beef and pasta mixture to bring plenty of cheesy deliciousness to this recipe.
How to Make Cheeseburger Casserole
Brown the meat, add the veggies, pasta and seasonings, then layer in a casserole dish with cheese, and bake until bubbly and delicious. This is one of those meals that’s so good, you’ll want to make on repeat! If your kids are anything like mine, they’ll be begging for it all the time.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then spray a 3 quart baking dish with pan spray.
- Brown the Meat: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and then add the ground beef. Thoroughly brown the beef and drain off the fat, using a wooden spoon to break apart the meat into small pieces.
- Mix in Other Ingredients: Add the onions, peppers, and garlic to the meat and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the tomato paste, canned tomatoes, relish, beef broth and sour cream to the pan and stir until mixed. Then add the pasta and seasonings.
- Layer Beef Mixture With Cheese: Bring the mixture to a boil before removing from the heat. Add half of the mixture to the prepared baking dish and add the velveeta cheese sauce over it. Add the remaining meat mixture on top of that and top with the shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake: Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes before removing the foil and baking for an additional 15 minutes. Allow the casserole to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips and Variations
Make this cheeseburger casserole your own with these simple tips and tricks!
- In the Crockpot: Brown the beef on the stovetop before adding to a 4 or 6 quart crock pot. Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the noodles, sour cream, Velveeta, and cheddar cheese. Cook on high for 3 hours. After 3 hours, cook the noodles on the stovetop according to the package to avoid overcooking. Then add the cooked and drained noodles into the meat mixture along with the sour cream and Velveeta. Top with the cheddar cheese and cover with the lid for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- In the Instant Pot: Set the instant pot to the sauté setting and brown the beef thoroughly. Drain off the fat and add the remaining ingredients except for the noodles, sour cream, velveeta, and cheddar cheese. Place the lid on the instapot and set to manually pressure cook for 4 minutes. After 4 minutes, manually release the pressure. Meanwhile, cook the noodles on the stovetop according to the package to avoid overcooking. Add the cooked and drained noodles into the instapot along with the sour cream and velveeta and stir to combine. Top with the cheddar cheese and cover with the lid for 10 minutes or so, until the cheese has melted.
- Swap the Cheese: If you don’t like Velveeta, you may replace the cheese sauce with 1 additional cup of shredded cheddar cheese. This should be stirred into the mixture, not put on top.
- Use Turkey: If you prefer to use ground turkey, feel free to swap the ground beef for turkey.
If you have leftovers, keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I don’t recommend freezing this cheeseburger casserole.
Reheat leftovers in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-20 minutes, or in the microwave in individual portions for 1.5-2 minutes.
Pin this now to find it later
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and spray a 3 quart baking dish with pan spray.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the ground beef. Thoroughly brown the beef and drain off the fat, using a wooden spoon to break apart the meat into small pieces.
Add the onions, peppers, and garlic to the meat and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the tomato paste, canned tomatoes, relish, beef broth and sour cream to the pan and stir until mixed. Add the pasta and seasonings.
Bring the mixture to a boil before removing from the heat. Add half of the mixture to the prepared baking dish and add the velveeta cheese sauce over it. Add the remaining meat mixture on top of that and top with the shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with foil.
Bake for 25 minutes before removing the foil and baking for an additional 15 minutes. Allow the casserole to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 360kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 25gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.2gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 655mgPotassium: 572mgFiber: 2gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 560IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 259mgIron: 3mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Hi! I’m a dedicated health blogger sharing valuable insights, natural remedies, and the latest scientific breakthroughs to help readers lead healthier lives. With a holistic approach to wellness, I empower individuals with accessible and actionable content, debunking myths and offering practical tips for incorporating healthy habits.