Okay guys – here’s the hard truth:
As you age, your body is going to change. Your hair will thin, you’ll put on weight if you don’t work out like a mad man and your skin will start to show signs of age.
So what’s a stylish guy to do? Sit back and accept his downfall?
Heck no! Gents, it’s time to educate yourselves. To avoid aging like a cheap beer, you’ve got to know what you should avoid doing as get closer to middle age and beyond.
In today’s article, I’m breaking out the 5 grooming mistakes that men make…and how to fix them.
Let’s get to it.
Worst Grooming Mistakes #1. Ignoring Physical Changes
It is a common mistake for a man approaching middle age to kid himself into thinking that his grooming rituals do not need updating.
At 30, you no longer wear the torn jeans and ragged t-shirts with sneakers from your college days. Your style reflects your age. Your grooming habits should reflect your age too.
At 20, you can overlook minor pains in your anatomy as the body repairs and heals at a rapid pace.
At 40, unchecked minor pains can lead to major diseases if they are not addressed early.
I should know. After a year of ignoring my dentist, a simple toothache turned out to be a gum disease that needed immediate attention. I am no longer 22 years old, although I may feel that way inside. My 40-year old body requires more attention, in fact, a different kind of attention than my younger self.
It’s easy to focus on wrinkles, thinning hair and forget that age shows prominently in your mouth. Yellow teeth can make you appear older, affecting your appearance and confidence.
Dental health is closely linked with overall health. Gum diseases are more common as you age and are associated with a higher risk of heart problems. So, don’t skip those visits to the dentist.
The hairstyle, moisturizing lotion, and frequency of shaving that made you look fantastic in your younger years often won’t cut it as you grow older. If you want to age gracefully (you have no other choice), you’ll need to make some changes.
Accept that your body is changing with time. And update your grooming rituals and products to reflect your age.
Worst Grooming Mistakes #2. Not Having A Skincare Routine
Your face is the first thing people notice about you.
If you don’t want your skin to look like a wrinkly leather bag in your 40s and 50s, start protecting your face now with an appropriate level of SPF.
Start your skincare routine with a natural face scrub for men to remove the top layer of dead skin cells on your face. Follow-up with products containing retinoids and antioxidants, which stimulate collagen renewal and increase cell turnover.
Not using a natural face moisturizer could kill your chances for fighting fine lines and wrinkles. A hot shower can leave it dry and cracked. Shaving just adds fuel to the fire and irritates your skin further. Apply a lightweight moisturizer with SPF to the face and neck daily to soothe the skin and replenish water content.
Looking older than your age affects your confidence and possibly your livelihood too. Imagine being laid off your job at 50 and being constantly overlooked for interviews because you look much older than your actual age.
Regular use of natural men’s skincare products (such as an anti-wrinkle serum) helps to diminish fine lines and wrinkles on your face.
Worst Grooming Mistakes #3. Not Having A Shaving Routine
You’ll notice I use the word, ‘routine,’ quite often.
A disciplined system for your grooming is the difference between success and mediocrity.
It takes years of research, learning, and practice to get a handle on the right shaving technique for your skin. Learn about the different types of razors, aftershaves, creams, and brushes to find what suits your needs.
Your routine should resemble the following sequence of steps:
- Prepare your face for a shave. Use a towel soaked in warm water and shave right after a shower.
- Apply a shaving oil, it acts as a lubricant and ensures a smoother shave.
- Avoid using aerosol cans and instead use a quality shaving cream or a natural shaving gel.
- Apply the shaving cream in a circular motion using a brush and then with upward strokes to lift the hair up and away from the face.
- Use a fresh blade. Avoid using cheap, disposable plastic razors.
- slow, gentle and smooth razor strokes with even, light pressure.
- Shave with the grain (direction of hair growth) using slow, gentle and smooth razor strokes. Then shave against the grain for a smoother finish.
- Remove the hair lodged in between the blades by rinsing it every one or two strokes.
- Wash your face with cold water and pat dry with a towel.
- Apply a natural aftershave balm to rehydrate your skin and reduce irritation.
Once you’ve been shaving for a while, you can vary your routine by making small changes. If all of a sudden you start experiencing razor burn, you can tweak your routine to change the result. You might have to change the razor or use a different lotion.
Changing one factor in your shaving routine can bring you closer to that perfect shave.
- Pre Shaving Oil – (secret weapon!) hydrates your skin pre shave and applies a thin film over your skin – allowing your razor to glide and not drag (reduces razor burn!).
- Perfect Shave Gel – gently softens your facial hair and lifts them away from your face to allow for a closer, smoother shave.
- After Shave Balm – provides essential hydration post shave – right when your skin needs. Soothes and cools your skin to minimize razor burn.
Worst Grooming Mistakes #4. Not Scheduling Haircuts
If you notice that you need a haircut, it’s already too late. Other people have noticed by then that your hair is out of control.
Don’t wait until you suddenly realize one morning you need a haircut. That could be the day of a big interview – it’s likely you’ll end up spending more at an expensive salon out of desperation or walk out with a hairstyle that doesn’t suit you.
Have a routine schedule for your haircuts.
At the end of your appointment at the barbershop or salon, fix a time and date for your next haircut. Setting up a day and time every month when your barber can expect to see you creates an automatic process that saves you time later.
If you can, pre-pay for your haircut so you are forced to show up for your appointment. Some salons will offer a discount for an upfront payment and even offer you a free touch-up in between your appointments.
Pro Tip: For men that want to make a change, consider coloring your hair to instantly change up your style.
Worst Grooming Mistakes #5. Not Understanding The Overall Body System
The best grooming rituals won’t guarantee healthier skin, hair, and teeth.
Approach your appearance holistically. There are other factors that play an important role in how healthy and attractive you look. An unbalanced diet, dehydration, no exercise, and stress will speed up your body’s aging process.
Apart from regular grooming rituals, pay attention to these important factors:
- Diet: Food is the information that you feed your DNA. Be conscious of what you are consuming. It affects your mood, energy levels, and your appearance.
- Water: Consume at least 8 glasses of water a day. An active person will require more than 8 glasses a day. Hydrated skin is more supple, making it appear more youthful and attractive.
- Reduce stress: Cortisol, the hormone released in a stressful state dehydrates the skin and makes you look tired. Meditate daily to reduce stress.
- Sleep: Rest allows your body to regenerate. Fewer hours of sleep are likely to show up on your face. Ensure that you are getting at least 7-9 hours of sleep.
- Exercise: Physical activity produces endorphins, the feel good hormones. Regular exercise increases blood flow and nourishes skin cell. Increased blood flow also helps to eliminate toxins from the body.
- Kick toxic addictions: Give up smoking, drugs, and excessive consumption of alcohol if you want to maintain healthy skin. The damage these toxins wreak on your organs is going to have a visible negative effect on your face and body.
Worst Grooming Mistakes #6. Being Too Experimental
Here’s the deal, gents. Having an understanding of good grooming practices as you age is essential for a healthy looking complexion and style. However, experimenting with too many weird and wonderful ‘quick fix solutions’ can be really damaging to your appearance.
Think about it; if you’re using too many products that don’t agree with your skin type or hair texture, it’s likely that your appearance will suffer drastically. So, take the time to research and test different products before committing to them in order to avoid any potential disasters!
It’s also important to note that you don’t need every single serum under the sun. A basic skincare routine consisting of a cleanser, scrub and toner will suffice.
The same goes for hair care. Using too many products can not only make your hair look greasy and limp, but it may cause damage which is difficult to repair. Stick to quality shampoos and conditioners that are tailored for your individual needs and avoid using styling products that contain harsh chemicals.
Grooming is just one part of be stylish. To be a truly attractive man, you need to ensure you have the men’s home essentials every stylish man own.
Hi! I’m a dedicated health blogger sharing valuable insights, natural remedies, and the latest scientific breakthroughs to help readers lead healthier lives. With a holistic approach to wellness, I empower individuals with accessible and actionable content, debunking myths and offering practical tips for incorporating healthy habits.